One in every five women will be sexually assaulted while in college, but less than 5 percent will report the assault to law enforcement, according to the U.S. Justice Department. Several national efforts are in the works to address the issue: a White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault delivers its recommendations this week, the U.S. Department of Education launched an investigation into claims that UC Berkeley mishandled reports of campus sexual assaults and congresswoman Jackie Speier plans to introduce legislation to strengthen sexual assault laws.
Host: Michael Krasny
- Jackie Speier, Democratic congresswoman representing California's 14th Congressional District
- Claire Holmes, associate vice chancellor of communications and public affairs, UC Berkeley
- Katy Palmer, senior at California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo
- Peter Novak, vice provost of student life at the University of San Francisco
- Rose Carlyle, community education coordinator for Bay Area Women Against Rape